Danish Aebleskiver Pancakes
Prep Time : 10 mins | Cook Time : 20 mins | Servings : 4
- 1 Lodge Aebleskiver pan
- 2 cups of fresh ground soft wheat flour (or unbleached flour or half and half)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TB sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- powdered sugar (optional)
- chocolate chips (a must in this house)
- chopped apples (optional)
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside. Mix together the buttermilk, egg yokes, and vanilla. Set aside. Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Mix the buttermilk mixture in flour mixture. Then fold in egg whites. Set aside, and heat up the Aebleskiver pan on medium heat.
- Place a slab (1/2 T) of butter (real butter) in each round. Add enough batter to almost come to the top of the round. When the batter starts to bubble up on the sides, turn the batter 1/4 of the way around. (I use a wooden skewer to turn the batter) Cook each turn for about one minute. The cooking time varies. The first batch always takes longer then the rest.
- If you want to add chocolate chips or apples, place then in the round just before the first 1/4 turn. I add 4 to 6 chips in each round.
- Serve warm, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Enjoy. (These freeze well.)
Submitted by Michelle Goodrich. Photo by Michelle Goodrich.